Sponsor your husband, wife and dependent children


You can sponsor your spouse and dependents (if applicable) to Canada under Family Class immigration. They will get the permanent residency (P.R.) card when they arrive in Canada.


The sponsor should be 18 years and older and a permanent resident or, a citizen of Canada. It’s OK to sponsor a spouse while you are living abroad. For this, you have to prove that you are a Canadian citizen and you have a full proof plan of staying in Canada once your wife comes to Canada. Please note that the permanent residence (P.R) of Canada won’t be able to sponsor their spouse if they are outside of Canada.


Good News: No income requirement required if you are sponsoring a spouse.

You only need to show proof of income and you meet the financial requirement if:

a)    You are sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own or,

b)    You are sponsoring a spouse that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

There are two parts to this application.

You have to agree to become a sponsor. What this means is that you would provide financial support for basic needs of a spouse and dependent children. You would be responsible for 3 years from the day your spouse becomes a P.R.

If you were already married and were sponsored by your spouse earlier and you are now married and planning to sponsor your spouse, you have to wait five (5) years after you received your P.R. to become eligible to sponsor. This type of cases requires in-depth study and more documentation than the usual case.

The second part is your other half applying for P.R. This can be done after you receive a confirmation stating you are eligible to sponsor your spouse.

Family immigration is a serious undertaking and it requires lots of documentation. A regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) can help you ease up your mind and prepare a great file for you.


Contact us for fore one-one consultation to get started.